The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

Which Holiday Do You Prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Homecoming, Whats The Hype?

The History of an Age-Old Tradition
Rosie Casteneda
Students dress up in pink to celebrate Homecoming Week activity’s

The Students of GCHS have loved homecoming and carried its tradition on for as long as the school has been open, celebrating the event with a week of fun activities leading up to the football game and dance. But why is that? Let’s take a look at the history of homecoming and why it’s such a big deal amongst highschool students.

Homecoming is a tradition that began officially in 1911 during a u\University of Missouri football game where alumni were encouraged to attend. Though many schools had similar events before this, the university of Missouri is officially credited in creating the event. This game was the first college football game preceded by a parade to build hype and school spirit. Originally, the game was meant to build hype because the school had had a big losing streak, and were hoping to rebuild spirit in students.

Nowadays homecoming has become a much larger event and the week before the game usually consists of a spirit week, and a homecoming parade the morning of homecoming. This is where the tradition of electing a homecoming king and queen came from, as students would be chosen to represent their school in the parade on a float. Tailgates or block parties may also be held a day before as well as a powderpuff game(an all girls football game) , which bring the energy and excitement levels up with food and community. The principal of GCHS, Mr. Schmidt had this to say about his homecoming experience. “My homecoming was pretty traditional I would say, we had a theme week, dress up days, and a powder puff game, and of course a big football game and the dance.” Homecoming has had different levels of importance to students. With some taking it all the way and going all out for their schools, while others pay no mind to it.

“It’s a lot of work to put on all the events and activities for homecoming but we get a lot of help from the class sponsors and staff in the building, and that makes it easier and run smoothly” Mr. Schmidt says.
Homecoming certainly has had its impact on high school students throughout the years, but the core focus of the event has been mostly unchanged through the years, it’s a celebration of past and current students and their spirit and contributions to their school.

My homecoming was pretty traditional I would say, we had a theme week, dress up days, and a powder puff game, and of course a big football game and the dance.

— Principal Jeremy Schmidt