The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

How does competition affect you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Grant Girls Tennis Team are serving it out of the court.

The varsity girl’s tennis team had many successes, but not without a few bumps in the road.
Grant’s 2023 Varsity Girls Tennis Team VIP

This year the team has had a rough start to the season. As it progressed, they’ve gotten a lot better and will only continue to do so. Coach Boton said the following in regard to their start of the season “we’ve had a really tough schedule to start the season but it’s really going to shape us into our best.” Even though they may have losses it seems like those losses will only continue to help improve upon themselves and help reach their potential.

What is harder for the girls to play is it singles or doubles? From Boton’s perspective it is singles and here is why, “I would say singles because you know, we don’t have many year round players.” What he means by year round players is that they don’t have many people who play at other clubs or tournaments throughout the year and play tennis during the school season. He goes on to say “So we are going up against some of the toughest singles players in all of Northern Illinois.” The toughest teams that he is referring to are Grayslake North and Central. 

As any high school sport comes to an end, the team has a chance to qualify for regionals, sectionals, and then state. Interestingly in tennis, they skip regionals and go straight into sectionals as it is a very hard sport to try and qualify for sectionals and beyond.  Now we can only hope for the best for the team and maybe they’ll go on and make it to state. 

You have to continue to try your best try and stay alive and every point.

— Coach Boton