The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

What do you think is the biggest environmental problem?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Beating the Odds

Creating a way to encourage young minds to do what they love

Makary Sekulich, a multi-sport athlete, is shooting hoops and in it to win it. Makary overcomes many obstacles with his head up and doesn’t let anything stop him from achieving his goals. From swimming competitively to winning championships with his wheelchair basketball team, Makary has set an example to many young kids with disabilities who also wish to be involved with sports. Makary continues to stay eager throughout his career, developing new skills not only in basketball but in swimming as well. “I practice basketball for two days out of the week for 4 hours, I don’t want to continue swimming and I want to shift my main focus into basketball” Makary finds that basketball is his passion and successfully takes off to win third place in state.  Makary hopes to continue being successful in the league in order to prove to others anything is possible. “I believe the younger generation who play in the same league, might look up to me as their role model.” His many achievements were able to be recognized by Toyota’s Sports Festival, ¨Challenged Athletes Foundation” . This foundation gifted Makary a brand new wheelchair for being recognized by his achievements and helps take his game to the next level.  “My family and coaches are one of my biggest supporters as they help me get better while also helping to attend the tournaments. I look up to my coaches more as they used to be Paralypmic Athletes as well and that’s one of my biggest goals.”