The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Family Matters

Success isn’t just a one man sport.
Isabella Chirinos
For Gray’s lead to success he trusts the process in everything, even though there are ups and downs he describes he just has to keep pushing because he can get anything he want if he puts his mind to it.

Basketball star Braylon Gray, a junior at Grant, has been on Grant’s varsity basketball team since his freshman year. Braylon has been playing for quite some time, with his passion for the sport only growing. Braylon has learned the ins and outs and has all the motivation to get better each year with the help of friends and family.

Braylon, with not only the work of himself, has had family and friends by his side on his journey. In particular, Gray mentions how his Dad really inspired him to play since he was a professional athlete himself. “My dad pushed me to do it, he told me to be better than him, he just wants me to be higher just everything,” Braylon explains. Part of the motivation comes from his Dad and it helps him achieve the main goal that he works hard to  accomplish. His Father isn’t the only family member that has impacted  Braylon. On his rough days, his brother is his main source of motivation to push through. On stressful days he keeps in mind how his brother “constantly tells me to keep going because he knows what I have”, Braylon states. He holds a lot of respect for his brother since his brother also shares a love for the same sport.

For Gray’s lead to success he trusts the process in everything, even though there are ups and downs he describes he just has to keep pushing because he can get anything he want if he puts his mind to it. (Isabella Chirinos)

Most people Gray surrounds himself with know about the talent he carries within himself. Brandon Walkowitz, junior at Grant, is a good friend and teammate of Braylon. Their friendship really started from the sport of basketball. Brandon elaborates, “I knew he was the best player so I wanted him on my team,  I told him to come try out for Grant feeder, he was my neighbor so our friendship boosted from there.”  He goes on to talk about how they have helped each other to become better every day.  Brandon explains how Gray is like a mentor to him and teaches him things like “speed,  just knowing what to do, when to do it, and where to do it.” He’s aware of the talent Braylon holds and has helped him along the way as not only a teammate but a friend and Braylon has done the same in return.

Braylon’s supporters see a lot of talent and drive wihtin him. “They just push me and constantly encourage me to get better.” – Braylon Gray. (Isabella Chirinos)

Gray has been on the varsity team since he was a freshman. Coach Bosworth has been his Coach his whole high school career. His main goal with Braylon is to drive him and push him to be the best athlete he can be . Bosworth watches how great of an athlete he is and describes him as one of the best he’s seen in his, “20 years I have been coaching at the varsity level and I have never had a freshman who has started for us as a point guard which is pretty impressive.”  His position on the team isn’t the only impressive factor coach Bosworth talks about. Braylon’s talents have been impeccable since he started, talents like, “He’s super quick, he can drive the hoop, he can throw it down, and  he can shoot a three. He was all-conference and all-area last year.” All conference and all areas as a sophomore is only the beginning of his success in his career. 

He’s super quick, he can drive the hoop, he can throw it down, and  he can shoot a three. He was all-conference and all-area last year.

— Varsity basketball coach, Wayne Bosworth

His friends and coaches can’t wait to see what he’s going to accomplish this year. WIth their help and support, plus the motivation and talent he holds, he’s going to reach great heights in the future.