The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

What has inspired you during 2020?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

History at it’s Finest.

The truth behind lacrosse

The 2028 Olympics adds Lacrosse to the roster with massive support from fans. What people don’t know is the creators of the game, may not be an addition to the roster due to the Olympic committee struggling to recognize the indigenous reservations as a nation.. . As of December 6, 2023, President Joe Biden has announced his support for an Indigenous lacrosse team for the 2028 Olympics, creating a new visual for the near future.

Lacrosse has evolved drastically from its origins. When issues emerged, indigenous people used lacrosse to settle disputes between tribes. It was common for sixty players to play on a two-mile-long field. Now, it’s played with 10-12 players and use an average field. Lacrosse has turned from a peaceful form of settling issues to an aggressive and more physical contact. Lacrosse has existed for hundreds of years, along with indigenous players. Indigenous people aren’t unfamiliar with inhumane punishments by Indian Boarding Schools. These schools spent decades killing, repurposing, and striping the natives of their culture. Children were abducted from their tribes and brought here to be “more humane”. One piece of their culture that wasn’t  taken, was lacrosse. Native teams, like the Haudenosaunee, continue their heritage. The Haudenosaunee have won three bronze awards in World Games for their skills, they also welcome other countries to join and in hopes to teach the traditions of the game. 

Lacrosse has evolved into a “financially gate-kept” sport and is deemed  controversial. Club lacrosse can cost thousands of dollars, especially with travel fees. Some players fly across the country for tournaments, and college clinics play for other club teams. Although this can be said for any sport, 8 out of 10 lacrosse players said lacrosse is advertised to more financially privileged. Junior, Mathew Warmoski agreed, “…especially if you want to play outside of school”. 73% of lacrosse players are Caucasian. This standard gives lacrosse a stereotype. Junior Riley Lyons describes these stereotypes as “a stuck-up person, which is not always the case”. People can take advantage of opportunities to join lacrosse, even if finances are an issue. For someone who wants to be successful in lacrosse, it takes skill and money.

Lacrosse is a supportive environment, despite current challenges. Junior Tyler Fleming describes his  lacrosse team as “a community that wants to see you grow and succeed”. Grant Lacrosse is just one of the hundreds of lacrosse teams in the state. Grant keeps it fun and affordable for new players and has try-outs for anyone.

“Year after year numbers grow with a wide variety of skill sets which is just amazing to see”

— Coach Olsen

. Grant’s lacrosse team gives opportunities that not all schools give. This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone new to the sport.