The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

How does Teamwork affect you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Humbled Artist is Hard to Find

A Review of Benson Boone’s Beautiful Things
Rosely Castaneda
Lillian Oplawski hanging her new Benson Boone calendar to count the days until his next song gets released.

If you have been on any social media platform recently, you have undoubtedly heard of 21-year-old Benson Boone. In his early years at the mere age of 18, Benson had been posting videos of him singing on various platforms when he received an invitation to compete on American Idol. Eventually, he decided to leave the show because “Everybody on the show wanted to [make] music; they had been waiting for this moment their whole lives. And [he] did not feel that way, [he] didn’t want to get locked into something [he] was unsure about.” 

Benson later wrote 2024’s newest hit Beautiful Things, after its debut at Number 15 on Billboard Hot 100, skyrocketed to number 3 in the weeks following. The song starts with Benson expressing his hardships in the previous years with the lyrics, “For a while there, it was rough”. Throughout the rest of the song, Benson continuously proclaims his love for his friends, family, and girlfriend, and how he does not want to lose them, providing relatability for listeners. 

Beautiful Things was heavily self-promoted with its consistent use on TikTok. Even though this number was not expected to excel by anyone, including Benson himself, Beautiful Things has roughly 879 thousand likes on YouTube whereas some of his other songs like In the Stars and GHOST TOWN averaged about 268.5 thousand. Although this song may not be loved by all, it is undeniably relatable and in the words of many “makes the playlist”.