The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

Which Holiday Do You Prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cooking For Gold

Creativity is always highly encouraged at Grant Community High School, and a student-wide favorite way to get creativity flowing is by taking Foods I and II. These two electives teach several concepts ranging from nutrition to cookie recipes. These courses are offered to only juniors and seniors and include competition as well as life-long skill. Engaging aspect: Foods I and II never fail to keep their students engaged in activities. Jack Hembrey a student in Foods II claims, ̈I like how I am always moving in the class and doing something new while still staying engaged. ̈ A common aspect of Foods II for students is researching their own recipes. A second Foods II class member named Savannah Mumford also shares her opinion, ̈It gets you out of the reality of working on schoolwork,  and being able to still be with friends is fun.” Overall, culinary classes at GCHS are engaging as well as social.

Golden Winner:
Jack Hembrey, Savannah Mumford, and Jo- siah Jefferson worked to receive the golden spoon. Throughout the cookie unit, these three students came together and baked cookies that won them the golden spoon for best looks and taste overall. Competition Fun: An entertaining way for upperclassmen to stay focused during class is by competing for the Golden Spoon throughout the semester. The golden spoon is awarded to one group per unit. To earn the Golden Spoon, groups have to make a dish that exceeds the criteria of physical presentation, taste, and efficiency. ̈I got the golden spoon for making Raspberry lemon muffins, ̈ senior Josiah Jefferson, a student in Foods II claimed. Both food courses participate in this competition.