The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

How does School Spirit affect you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Shining For A Scholarship

Having trouble standing out to college coaches? Try some of these tips.

Most athletes dream about playing sports in college. Not only is playing sports competitive but so is getting a scholarship. Here’s some advice to get one. 

Lots of factors go into getting a sports scholarship. When researching what coaches look for many wrote that they don’t only look at an athlete’s skill, but many things like grades, behavior, and coachability help in the process of getting chosen. There are many things that an athlete can do to get a scholarship. Who they reach out to and how they reach out also affects an athlete’s chances. Many factors go into getting a scholarship.

Although a coach looks at someone’s athletic talent, one of the most important things is an athlete’s grades, along with what classes and electives they have chosen. When talking to Katelyn Rossini, a senior on Grant’s girls’ volleyball team, who was awarded a scholarship to play at Bryant University, explained that “having good grades helps. I would also talk about stuff that I do outside of school.” Coaches don’t just want players for their team, they want people who do work and have activities outside of school. Colleges and universities want to make sure their players are eligible to play grade wise. When an athlete shows they have good grades and can maintain this in college, they are more likely to be chosen. 

Katelyn Rossini is going to Bryant University to play volleyball. She said that a big part of it was letting coaches know her grades and things like extracurricular activites.
Cole Bush is going to Baldwin-Wallace university to play baseball. A big part of it was reaching out to coaches and letting them know who he is.

However, a coach won’t give somebody a scholarship if they don’t know who they are. Emails, texts, and social media posts are all great ways an athlete can get their names to coaches. Senior baseball player Cole Bush, who committed to Baldwin Wallace University, said that a big part of getting his scholarship was “reaching out, I mean, I sent a lot of emails, text messages, Instagram DMs, and Twitter DMs.” Talking to coaches first, sending in highlights, and being active with recruiters is a great way for athletes to get noticed.

Along with these two other tips, there are many things that someone can do to get a sports scholarship. Having people there to help you, having good behavior in school, and practicing hard are just examples of other things that help. Even though getting recruited to play sports in college is hard and competitive, there are many things, like the ones listed here, an athlete can do to increase their chances of getting one.