Traditions of Halloween

History is hidden behind Halloween could be frightful as its dark and foolish tales are one that someone should be scared.

Eleanor Escobedo

Madelyn; a sophomore twisting their head around to see its own creation.

Cole Guild, Journalist

Halloween and Hallows Eve is a holidays celebrated every year on October 31st. This tradition of celebrating Halloween originated with the Celtics that celebrated an ancient festival called Samhain, where the people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off any evil spirits nearby seeking to reek at those who are alive. The Celtics believed that during the festival of Samhain, spirits would sneak out of hell and walk the Earth searching for what could fulfill their evil wishes.

The Black and Orange upon Hallows Eve

The traditional colors of Halloween, which are known to be black and orange, trace back to the Celtic festival of Samhain. For the Celts, black represented the “death” of the summer as the strong breeze of the wind would swoop in taking lives away while the orange symbolized the autumn harvest season of pumpkins and crops.

The Spooky Face saw on a Pumpkin

Carving pumpkins and making them into jack-o-lanterns came from the old folk tale about a man named Stingy Jack. Stingy Jack had repeatedly trapped the Devil time and time again to the point where he would only agree to release him on the condition that when his death was upon him, his soul would not go to hell. But when Jack died, heaven didn’t want his soul, so all he was left with was to helplessly wonder the Earth as a ghost for as long as his soul lasted. The Devil was curious about how his adventure would go, so he decided to help Jack and give him a burning lump of coal in a pumpkin to help light his way. That’s how the tradition of making Jack-O-Lanterns came around as a tradition for Halloween.

Its Fleece Costume Flowing in the Soothing Wind

The Celtics believed that in order not to be terrorized by the evil spirits walking the Earth during hallows eve, they donned disguises not to be mistaken as one of the spirits and simply be left alone.

Trick-or-Treating at your Door

There were a few different theories on where trick-or-treating originally came from. One prominent theory that was told was during Samhain, Celtic people would leave food out to please the spirits walking past on that feared night. Over time, people began to dress as these weird beings in exchange for similar offerings of toys, and food.