Dancing Through The Pandemic

Amidst COVID-19 there has been many controversies regarding how to safely host a public event. Here at Grant, administrators thoroughly consulted with one another as well as The Lake County Health Department and The Illinois Department of Public Health in regards of what had to be altered in order to produce the safest and most fun environment possible at the Homecoming event this year while amongst the Coronavirus disease.

By: Layton Norris

The Bark 2021 Issue 1 Back Cover- Captured and designed by Eleanor Escobedo

The presence of the coronavirus pandemic has brought upon strict safety and social distancing measures that have ultimately resulted in a completely different approach to planning and hosting public events. In turn, COVID-19 has immensely changed social gathering as a whole. Despite these immense changes, here at Grant Community High School, the administrators worked collaboratively along with Junior class co-sponsors Mrs. Tracey Highley, and Mrs. Trisha Crambes in efforts to provide guests with the same amount of enjoyment and entertainment as previous years, while providing the safest environment possible.

“One major difference this year, because of COVID, was that there were a lot of administrator decisions; so Highley and I were  [informed of how the event would be taking place] and we just [helped make it happen]– The administrators, Dr. Sefcik, Dr. Miller, Mr. Geist, and  Mr. Duval made almost all the decisions.  The only things Mrs. Highley and I really [were expected ] to do was decide upon the DJ and the time change that we were going to do,” Junior Class Co-Sponsor Mrs. Trisha Crambes stated. “We estimated around 800 [people to show], and [in turn,] it was decided] that we couldn’t do that indoors, so we had to do it at an outdoor homecoming dance…and then with all of the contracts and requirements we knew that we were not going to be able to have outside guests (students from surrounding schools in attendance).”

The Administration ultimately decided that the most suitable location to host the homecoming event would be at the GCHS football field, on account of the field being the most spacious outdoor area on school property. Mrs. Crambes and Mrs. Highley decided upon the time in which homecoming would take place based on factors such as the weather, student agendas, and how much time would be needed for the event.

All of these alterations in the way that homecoming was facilitated have been made in order to ensure that students were given the opportunity to attend the closest thing possible to the traditional homecoming experience. But more importantly, these measures were taken in order to prevent students from going without a homecoming experience completely; and it was done so in such a way that enabled students to have a great time in the safest, and healthiest manner possible while amongst the Coronavirus.  According to the Assistant Director of Activities and Athletics Mr. Duval, the main concern was “to make sure the decisions we were making for the students and for the activities would keep everybody safe, and [produce] a good time, all in the same nutshell.” All of the decisions made regarding the facilitation of the homecoming event were agreed upon in a collaborative manner amongst the administration and various other members within The Grant Community High School District; in which all of whom consulted in local government for guidelines regarding hosting large social gatherings amidst the coronavirus. When making decisions, the administrators  “had to work with our district here, not just the [other administrators], but also the attorneys.”  Apart from consulting with members within the district, the administrators “worked with the Lake County Health Department and the Illinois Department of Public Health to [reassure] the decisions [they] were making.”

In addition to preventing the spread of the coronavirus, the new homecoming format reduced the costs substantially, which allowed the school to make more profit from the event, therefore bringing the total money earned to around the same amount as previous years..Mrs. Crambes illuminated that Making up for that overall loss in revenue with an overall increase in profits was extremely beneficial for administrators and students alike because “there were fewer students, and that money is what we use to pay for prom. We actually paid a lot less this year; by doing it outside we eliminated a huge portion of the light show. There was no stage…therefore the price of the DJ was drastically reduced from previous years.

Despite the extreme change in atmosphere, there were definitely some positive effects from this new outdoor approach to homecoming. As well as promoting personal health, preventing the spread of the coronavirus disease, and reducing the overall costs endured; this new outdoor approach to homecoming effectively provided guests with the adequate atmosphere to truly have a great time. “There were a lot more things to do this year, and a lot of the students liked the lawn games and things that were set up. We found out they really liked being fed..that was a big, big draw. So, I do think it was more fun,” Mrs. Crambes Observed. “I think it caused us to think outside the box a little bit in order to allow students to still have that [homecoming] experience. It made it less of a formal event, which I know some students weren’t super big fans of, but then I think it also allowed students that wouldn’t normally be interested in that type of thing to feel more inclined to attend. I do think that overall, it was a success, and, you know, I’m almost wondering if we should do it like this from now on, just in general.”

(297)

lawn games and things that were set up. We found out they really liked being fed..that was a big, big draw. So, I do think it was more fun,” Mrs. Crambes Observed. “I think it caused us to think outside the box a little bit in order to allow students to still have that [homecoming] experience. It made it less of a formal event, which I know some students weren’t super big fans of, but then I think it also allowed students that wouldn’t normally be interested in that type of thing to feel more inclined to attend. I do think that overall, it was a success, and, you know, I’m almost wondering if we should do it like this from now on, just in general.”