The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

Are you taking precautions to protect your rocks?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Solving a Problem, Preventing an Issue

A new school year is well underway.  As school starts, friendships rekindle, sports begin, activities tantalize us along our paths.  There is so much to do, and the order in which to do them begins to blur.  

The feeling of missing out is something nobody wants to feel, but focusing on social life only will chip away at academic success.  There has to be a balance.  School is not meant to take up every single second of our lives; however, this does not take away the importance of school.  

I constantly hear people give their method of attack on how all that students need to do is “finish their homework” before going out, or “just use class time” that is provided.  Not everyone has the same ability to finish work when something else might be on their mind.  What if I was not given class time?  What if I already have a commitment to a plan I made?  What about my conference game today?  As the year goes on, and stress fully develops, solutions only become harder to find.  Trying to find a solution once the problem is in the driver’s seat is never going to be effective.  Getting a jump on what a future problem might be before it forms will lower stress, and raise the ability to balance all activities that we as students are involved in.  There are many variables, but that just means that there are many solutions as well.  

The first issue of our newspaper this year presents the exciting school spirit that GCHS has been bringing, it shows our homecoming dance, our successful sports teams, and other exciting activities that people are taking up with their friends.  With that, we balance the paper with articles on why procrastination is so easy, and how to fix a bad habit and an editorial tackling the idea of how to balance school work while keeping a socially successful life.