The Student News Site of Grant Community High School

The Bark

The Bark

The Bark

Polls

Who wins the divorce Tom Brady or the Patriots?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Zendrea Pfau

Handling disconnection within the team.
Zendrea+Pfau
Rosely Castaneda

Zendrea has been playing volleyball since she was nine years old. Inspired by her older sister who played multiple different sports throughout her life. Playing for such a long time means her skills improve as well, opening up more opportunities. One of them is on a travel team. The fast-paced, competitive environment made her feel right at home with varsity. However, the team members being in their final years of high school seemed to backtrack on that home-like feel. 

Being on a team is about working as one. That doesn’t come as easy when the only freshman on the team feels like an outsider. This year during tryouts freshman, Zendrea Pfau was placed on varsity volleyball here at Grant. She showed such outstanding skills on the court that the head girls’ volleyball coach, JP Gizowski, thought it would be best to place her on varsity as that would be the place where her talent could grow the most. The age gap between her and her fellow teammates, however,  can cause a rift between them. As if she doesn’t belong there. 

Feeling as if she was the odd one out was something that Zendrea did not think she would need to prepare herself for. With the rest of the team being juniors and seniors, she found it hard to involve herself in simple conversation, ”They’re going off to college and I’m just starting high school, they talk about that. Or because they’ve all known each other for [so] long. It’s just kind of difficult to start a conversation”, she described. Not knowing how she was going to be able to find herself being able to involve herself in the group on a day-to-day basis. Despite all of this, she finds that the bonds she has created with the team grow more by the day.